The cricketing trends for today was mostly about New Zealand as they won the semi-final against India at the Old Trafford on Wednesday. Against all the odds, the Kiwis took the mighty Indians down with a scintillating performance. Matt Henry who has had a mixed World Cup thus far produced a memorable performance in this game to steer the Blackcaps to one of their biggest wins.
Batting first yesterday, New Zealand struggled to get to the 239-run mark. Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor assessed the conditions brilliantly to get their side to a fighting total. With the rain pushing the game to the reserve day, they set up a 240-run target for the Indians. Bhuvneshwar Kumar bowled brilliantly in the death alongside the master Jasprit Bumrah, which saw the Indians go into the second innings on a high.
Henry and Trent Boult sharing the new ball rattled the Indian top order and at one stage, they were struggling at 23/4. Rishabh Pant and Hardik Pandya steadied the innings for the side before Ravindra Jadeja and MS Dhoni tried to take the game deep. Jadeja chipped in with the knock of a lifetime, but he perished at an important time. Dhoni’s run-out courtesy Martin Guptill’s brilliance ended the Indian hope and Kiwis won the game by 18 runs.
England and Australia will lock horns in what is going to be a humongous game tomorrow at Edgbaston. England regained momentum after that game against India and they are looking red-hot dangerous in every department. Australians are always a force to reckon with and the excitement leading up to the game is unparallel. The winner of the contest will take on New Zealand on Sunday.
1. Kaul is extremely disappointed with the outcome
— Siddharth Kaul (@sidkaul22) July 10, 2019
2. KP’s back with his optimism
— Kevin Pietersen🦏 (@KP24) July 10, 2019
3. Salman Butt appreciates Dhoni and Jadeja
— Salman Butt (@im_SalmanButt) July 10, 2019
4. Heartbroken Srikkanth sends his best wishes to New Zealand
Really depressed after the loss @BCCI suffered at the hands of @BLACKCAPS! Anyhow wish @BLACKCAPS the very best and hope they lift the cup this time! Congratulations to all our boys on a wonderful tournament let's keep the faith going forward! #IndVsNewZealand #CWC2019
— Kris Srikkanth (@KrisSrikkanth) July 10, 2019
5. Moody and Bhogle debate on who was the player of the match
— Tom Moody (@TomMoodyCricket) July 10, 2019
6. Bishan Singh Bedi shares a touching story
On Delhi’s Parliament Street, Septuagenarian Kanhaiyya Lal has polished shoes for a living, working the brush over the past 56 years – The Hindu (Very touching humane tale of genuine existence in Delhi.!) https://t.co/utZ2xSBei0
— Bishan Bedi (@BishanBedi) July 10, 2019
7. Vaughan appreciates the under-rated Kiwis
— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) July 10, 2019
8. Proud Wagner cheers as Kiwis reach the final
So proud of these boys!!! Amazing achievement and some serious BMT!! Great fight from the lads! What a game!! pic.twitter.com/VBjJjCGxXe
— Neil Wagner (@NeilWagner13) July 10, 2019
9. Powar sends his commiserations to Jadeja
— ramesh powar (@imrameshpowar) July 10, 2019
10. Cannot disagree with Badrinath’s judgment
— subramani badrinath (@s_badrinath) July 10, 2019
11. Akhtar sends his best wishes to Kiwis; applauds Dhoni and Jadeja
India did not bat well enough to reach the final. A resilient effort by Jadeja & Dhoni. They almost brought India back into the game.
So a big upset, New Zealand goes through to final, India knocked out. #INDvsNZ #CWC19 #semifinal
— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) July 10, 2019
12. Afridi’s prediction doesn’t turn true
Stunning result in Manchester!! I had predicted an England-India final but NZ have been brilliant, unbelievable effort to restrict this India batting for such low total. Great game for Jadeja, hard luck India
— Shahid Afridi (@SAfridiOfficial) July 10, 2019
13. Manjrekar’s spot on with his assessment
This was confirmed by Kane in a quick chat after the game. He said Ross and me were aiming for 240. So in the end, it was intelligence that won NZ the semifinal. https://t.co/32uKSToNB6
— Sanjay Manjrekar (@sanjaymanjrekar) July 10, 2019
14. Hero from the last World Cup cheers for the Kiwis to go one step further
What a game! #backtheblackcaps
Finals time! Let’s go one better than 2015.
— Grant Elliott (@grantelliottnz) July 10, 2019
15. Yusuf Pathan’s heartfelt message for the Indian side
Well played India
It was a close game but New Zealand held the nerves better
Amazing knock by Jadeja
The team tried their best and we're all shattered like them
But a campaign to be proud of
We are all with you #MenInBlue
— Yusuf Pathan (@iamyusufpathan) July 10, 2019
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- ICC World Cup 2019: 5 fielders who saved most number of runs in less matches
- ICC World Cup 2019: 1st Semi-Final, India vs New Zealand – Jadeja’s rare treble, India’s optimistic comeback and more stats
- World Cup 2019: Ravichandran Ashwin lauds MS Dhoni and Ravindra Jadeja’s efforts
- Sanjay Manjrekar wants Ravindra Jadeja dropped from World Cup semis against New Zealand
- World Cup 2019: Sachin Tendulkar wants Jadeja and Shami to play the semis against New Zealand