The cricketing trends on social media revolved around a number of events. The opening Test of the 2019 Ashes between England and Australia has finally come to a close. After conceding a lead of 90 in the first innings, the visitors, led by Tim Paine, made an incredible comeback and won the game at the Edgbaston in Birmingham by 251 runs. Most importantly, the Aussies took a 1-0 lead in the five-match series. Steve Smith was adjudged the Player of the Match for his jaw-dropping centuries on his Test return.
Smith scored 144 and 142 respectively and kept the Three Lions at bay for a significant duration of the encounter. Following Smith’s masterclass, the Brits were faced with a target of chasing down 398 in the fourth innings on a track, which was expected to generate sharp turn. On the last day, Nathan Lyon ripped the heart out of the English lineup with a six-wicket haul. The tweaker was outstanding, bowling to the left-handers and hardly gave any freebies away. The home team was bowled out for 146 in 52.3 overs.
After the victory, the cricketing fraternity lauded Paine’s men. Sachin Tendulkar, the former Indian cricketer, also had words of appreciation for Smith. In the meantime, Dale Steyn, the legendary South African fast bowler, called it a day from Test cricket. The speedster hung his boots as the Proteas leading wicket-taker. The speedster played 93 Tests in which he picked 439 wickets with 26 five-wicket hauls. His last appearance in the format was versus Sri Lanka in Port Elizabeth. He was showered with praises after he retired.
1. Faf will miss Dale Steyn in red-ball cricket
The greatest of his generation. Stats don’t lie and @DaleSteyn62 test stats is the best . I know how much test cricket means to you bud and how badly you still wanted to achieve more . Hopefully we will still see a lot of this action. #🐐 pic.twitter.com/qMglFgfZ9U
— Faf Du Plessis (@faf1307) August 5, 2019
2. Darren Lehmann lauds Australia
What a win 👍🇦🇺🇦🇺#ashes 1-0 on too Lords . Australia you bloody beauty , sing it loud lads 👍congrats to all .
— Darren Lehmann (@darren_lehmann) August 5, 2019
3. A busy Russel Arnold having fun in the TNPL
— Russel Arnold (@RusselArnold69) August 5, 2019
4. Mohammad Kaif praises Australia
Winning a test match by 251 runs after being 122/8 in the first innings doesn't happen very often. A remarkable test match for Steve Smith, and well done Nathan Lyon and Cummins. #Ashes19
— Mohammad Kaif (@MohammadKaif) August 5, 2019
5. An ecstatic Glenn Maxwell
Australia!!!!!!! You bloody beauty!!!!! 1-0 #ashes
— Glenn Maxwell (@Gmaxi_32) August 5, 2019
6. Ian Bishop understands Steve Smith’s contributions
From Aus 122-8 on day 1, to victory on day five by 251 runs. Many heroes for Australia, but it starts and stops with Steve Smith’s hundreds. Test cricket showed much of its drama and many narratives (good & indifferent)👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻. #THEATRE!!!
— ian bishop (@irbishi) August 5, 2019
7. Andile Phehlukwayo at the CSA Awards
A post shared by Andile Phehlukwayo (@andile_phehlukwayo) on Aug 5, 2019 at 6:35am PDT
8. Shoaib Malik over the moon
— Shoaib Malik 🇵🇰 (@realshoaibmalik) August 5, 2019
9. Albie Morkel feels for the umpires
One thing is for sure, the umpires have had a tough time in the first #Ashes19 test match
— Albie Morkel (@albiemorkel) August 5, 2019
10. Virat Kohli with the BOSS
— Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) August 5, 2019
11. Vaughan takes a dig at Joel Wilson
— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) August 5, 2019
12. Brad Hogg feels positive about Jason Roy
— Brad Hogg (@Brad_Hogg) August 5, 2019
13. Yuzvendra Chahal off to Port of Spain
Finally ✈️✈️ pic.twitter.com/JpD9dJeRk3
— Yuzvendra Chahal (@yuzi_chahal) August 5, 2019
14. Tom Moody all praises for Dale Steyn
— Tom Moody (@TomMoodyCricket) August 5, 2019
15. Sachin Tendulkar praises Steve Smith
— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) August 5, 2019
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- A true champion of the game, says Virat Kohli after Dale Steyn hangs his boots in Tests
- Virat Kohli named in ‘Cricketers of the decade’ list by Wisden
- Virat Kohli was keen to get Dale Steyn in IPL 2020 auction, reveals Mike Hesson
- 5 Crucial series Team India will play under Ravi Shastri in his second stint as head coach
- Steve Smith trumps Kane Williamson to reclaim second spot in ICC Test rankings