Senior player Rohan Bopanna has withdrawn from upcoming Davis Cup tie against Pakistan because of his shoulder injury. This has paved the way for inclusion of Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan in the playing squad.
The 39-year-old has communicated his unavailability to the non-playing captain Rohit Rajpal, after he underwent an MRI scan on Monday.
Bopanna was likely to be paired with the Pro Leander Paes for the doubles of the November 29-30 tie.
Left-handed Nedunchezhiyan was named by the AITA selection committee in the eight-member squad as one of the three reserves.
"It's disappointing not to have Rohan in the side. But we want him to protect his shoulder. He needs shots (injection) for treatment. We have an able replacement in Jeevan. He has done well on the Tour and we will have a good left-right combination," a member from AITA selection committee told.
Bopanna is the top doubles player of the nation. As Divij Sharan is also unavailable due to his wedding reception, the two best-ranked players are not available for the upcoming tie.
Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan has been knocking on the doors of the Indian Davis Cup team for some time with his steady performance during the ATP tour.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- IPL 2021: Top 5 batsmen with highest individual scores in IPL history
- IPL 2021: Top 5 batsmen with most fours in IPL history
- WI vs SL: 2nd ODI, Match Prediction – Who will win today’s match?
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar – The warhorse India needs the most in 2021
- Hemang Badani not pleased with Varun Chakravarthy after the spinner fails to clear fitness tests ahead of the England T20Is