Senior player Rohan Bopanna has withdrawn from upcoming Davis Cup tie against Pakistan because of his shoulder injury. This has paved the way for inclusion of Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan in the playing squad.
The 39-year-old has communicated his unavailability to the non-playing captain Rohit Rajpal, after he underwent an MRI scan on Monday.
Bopanna was likely to be paired with the Pro Leander Paes for the doubles of the November 29-30 tie.
Left-handed Nedunchezhiyan was named by the AITA selection committee in the eight-member squad as one of the three reserves.
"It's disappointing not to have Rohan in the side. But we want him to protect his shoulder. He needs shots (injection) for treatment. We have an able replacement in Jeevan. He has done well on the Tour and we will have a good left-right combination," a member from AITA selection committee told.
Bopanna is the top doubles player of the nation. As Divij Sharan is also unavailable due to his wedding reception, the two best-ranked players are not available for the upcoming tie.
Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan has been knocking on the doors of the Indian Davis Cup team for some time with his steady performance during the ATP tour.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- Stuart Broad, James Anderson react to model walking the ramp wearing pads
- South Africa announce their squad for T20I series against Australia; AB de Villiers still absent
- ‘Goodbyes don’t get easier with time’ – Anushka Sharma leaves hubby Virat Kohli in New Zealand with a heavy heart
- ‘My dream has now been fulfilled’ – Navdeep Saini gears up for New Zealand Tests
- Eoin Morgan will be Kolkata Knight Riders’ trump card in IPL 2020, believes Harsha Bhogle