The ICC Test Championship is set to take over the post World Cup era. The Ashes has already started and now New Zealand and Sri Lanka will lock horns in the two-match Test series from August 14. The number 1 Test side India will also play their first Test series under the new cycle in the West Indies from August 22. The Virat Kohli-led side though will have to be spot-on with their performances as their top position in the format is at stake.
New Zealand have a chance to topple India from the number 1 position if they win the series against Sri Lanka by 2-0. Currently, India are sitting pretty at the top with 113 points to their name while the Kiwis led by Kane Williamson are only two points away from them. The opponents of both the sides, Windies and Sri Lanka respectively, aren’t doing great in the whites and clearly, they are expected to win these away contests.
However, both the sides can’t afford to lose a single game in this series as it will affect them in the rankings. New Zealand will lose their second spot to South Africa in that case.
What are the scenarios?
If the BlackCaps win the series opener against the Island nation, they will briefly climb to the first position in the Test rankings. However, if India manage to win their first Test against the Windies, they will be back at the top. As far as the results are concerned, here are different scenarios:
1) Both series end in a draw
In this case, both India and New Zealand will lose two points each coming down to 111 and 109 points respectively and there will be no change in rankings either.
2) New Zealand win the series by 1-0 or 2-0 and India lose the series by 1-0 or 2-0
In this case, New Zealand will easily conquer the top position while India will go below South Africa at the third position.
3) New Zealand lose the series by 0-1 or 0-2 and India win the series
New Zealand will go down to the fourth position below South Africa and England while India will retain its top ranking.
4) Both New Zealand and India lose the series
Well, this case is highly unlikely given the form of the two sides but if it happens, South Africa will benefit and they will go to the top of the table without even playing any match. India will come down to the second position while New Zealand will slump to fourth.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- Players who might not be retained in IPL 2021 auction
- ‘We were just a little timid in our approach’ – Brendon McCullum on KKR’s dismal batting against RCB
- IPL 2020: Navdeep Saini leaves Gautam Gambhir embarrassed after the latter criticises Virat Kohli
- IPL 2020: Match 39, KKR vs RCB – Siraj’s record spell, KKR’s collapse, Lowest 20-over total and more stats
- IPL 2020: Match 39, KKR vs RCB – Match Impact Ratings