On 25 October, Max Verstappen moved into F1's climate change debate. He argued that the racing series should "not over-react or be a drama queen".
The Dutchman took an alternate position to Lewis Hamilton soon after the Englishman had defended his social media postings on transferring to a vegan diet and saving the environment.
"Yeah, I like fuel. Can I say that? I don't like electric stuff. Well, I like my little electric moped at home, but not for an F1 car,” said Verstappen.
"I know the environment is very important, but F1 has been around for a long time as well and I don't think we should over-react or be drama queen about it."
Speaking ahead of Sunday's Mexico Grand Prix he further added: "Just get on with it. If you don't like it, don't watch it...."
Verstappen's remarks got strong backup for Hamilton from the four-time winner Sebastian Vettel who urged F1 to intervene and play a more constructive role in the crisis of climate change on Thursday.
Kimi Raikkonen, Vettel's former Ferrari team-mate, who is now of Alfa Romeo, said that if the sport needs too much involvement "we should all stay home and forget the racing".
"Obviously, I think it involves everybody who lives on this planet," Raikkonen further added.
"In the end, we all try to do what we can, but honestly we are probably not in the best place to start making big stories out of it because we're burning fuel for what? To be first, second?"
Other drivers disclosed they had made changes in their lifestyle including Romain Grosjean of Haas. The Frenchman said he is using an electric road car and cycling to save the environment.
He admitted he still owned a private jet company, but said he flew commercially as often as possible.
Grosjean said, "If you think what is F1, it's not very environmentally friendly."
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- ‘In the 2008 IPL final, CSK team meeting led by MS Dhoni lasted for 2 minutes’ – Parthiv Patel
- ‘How good is the series’ – Shane Warne says he can’t wait to watch season 5 of Money Heist
- ‘I use the street in front of my house for running’ – Sarfaraz Ahmed working hard to stay fit
- Bangladesh winning the U19 World Cup is the best thing to have happened to the world of cricket in 2020
- ‘Tu idhar udhar aggresion dikhata hai na, abhi Australia ke khilaf dikha’ – MS Dhoni to Sreesanth ahead of T20 WC 2007 semi-final