MSK Prasad role as Indian chief selector comes to an end. The decision was taken by BCCI President, Sourav Ganguly in the 88th Annual General Meeting held on Sunday. His departure means that the board had stuck with their old model that holds a provision of a maximum of four years for the selection committee. There were also some more amendments made in the meet that is sent forward to the apex court.
The former Indian wicketkeeper Prasad was appointed as the chief selectors in 2015. During his tenure of four years, he received criticism from the fans and former cricketers over his selection policy. One of his decision that hogged the spotlight was picking Vijay Shankar over Ambati Rayudu in 2019 World Cup squad. After Team India’s upset in the mega-event, it was expected that his tenure might come to a halt and the same happened.
Sourav Ganguly opines on the Indian selection committee
Sourav Ganguly, the BCCI President said that the tenue of the selection committee is finished. They did a good job in the last four years. He also added that they will fix the term for the selectors because it is not appropriate to pick new selectors every year.
“Tenures are finished. You cannot go beyond tenure. They have done a good job. We will fix a term for selectors and it is not right to appoint selectors every year.” Sourav Ganguly said after the BCCI’s 88th Annual General Meeting as quoted by News18.
There are reports that in the meeting BCCI panel has decided to remove the policy related to tenure cap for its officials. Moreover, this decision might clear the path for Ganguly to extend his stint as the Indian cricket chief. According to current reform, an office-bearer, who has served for three years either for state cricket association or either in BCCI has to go on a cooling-off period for three years. And, if this policy got dissolved then the former Indian skipper can continue until 2024, who has to vacate office next year.
After the 3rd of December, BCCI will also appoint a new advisory committee that is currently held by Kapil Dev, Shantha Rangaswamy and Anshuman Gaekwad.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- ‘He’s got a little bit of a technical issue’ – VVS Laxman on Shubman Gill being under pressure after low scores against England
- ‘I feel sorry for your parents’ – Rohan Gavaskar shuts down a fan who trolled him over nepotism
- India vs England, 2021: 4th Test, Day 1 – Virat Kohli creates new milestone, Ravi Ashwin’s feat, Axar Patel’s record and more stats
- ‘Ben Stokes gave me gaali’ – Mohammed Siraj reveals the reason behind heated exchange between Virat Kohli and England star
- ‘Ideally from the non strikers end’ – Wasim Jaffer on how England batsmen should face Axar Patel and Ravi Ashwin