In the last few years, the Indian cricket team has turned themselves into one of the best and strong lineups across the world. There has been a cut-throat competition to get placed in the playing XI of Men in Blue either in limited-overs or Test team. There have been several captains who have played their best role to help the team reach new milestones.
While MS Dhoni’s able leadership helped the team end their 28-year drought for the ODI World Cup, under Virat Kohli’s guidance, the team has been No.1 Test side for the most part of the last three years. Former Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan believes a blend of captaincy styles of both Dhoni and Kohli is best suited for the team. A blend of Dhoni’s calmness and Kohli’s aggression can take team places.
During the latest episode of Star Sports’ show Cricket Connected, Pathan said, “In Dhoni’s era, we saw calmness, and in Virat Kohli’s era, we saw aggression. You need both these qualities to be successful. A player, how he uses his calmness and his aggression to perform better, we have seen in both the eras.”
Highlighting further the traits of both the captains, the all-rounder pointed out they both have been using their special qualities as per the situation of the game and have been quite successful in the same.
“We have seen MS Dhoni come at the end and win us matches from difficult situations, and we have seen Virat Kohli’s amazing record in Test cricket,” he added.
Virat Kohli has been too dominant in the Test side
Kohli became the first captain to beat Australia on their own soil in a Test series when Men in Blue wreaked havoc on Aussies in the 2018-19 season.
“Going to Australia and beating them there. Their fast bowlers who always play aggressive cricket can dominate anyone, but Virat Kohli went there and dominated their bowlers in their own backyard both as a player and as a captain.”
India and Australia will lock horns again later this year after the completion of a much-awaited Indian Premier League commencing on September 19.
Source: The source of this content is our cricket news platform Crictracker.
- India vs England, 2021: 4th Test, Day 1 – Virat Kohli creates new milestone, Ravi Ashwin’s feat, Axar Patel’s record and more stats
- India vs England, 2021: 3rd Test, Day 2 – Records galore for Axar Patel, Ravi Ashwin’s milestone, captain Kohli’s feat and more stats
- Cricketing fraternity sends condolences to Krunal and Hardik Pandya for loss of father
- Ranking India’s top 10 T20I match-winners of all-time
- MS Dhoni continues gathering love on Instagram; becomes second cricketer after Virat Kohli to breach the 30 million club