Shubman Gill just had the dreamy start to his Test career when he displayed his class against Australia in their own backyard. Gill marked his debut in the second Test of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy at MCG and returned with knocks of 45 and 35 runs. India won the match, and it fuelled the young batter to perform even better in the coming matches. Gill followed it with a gritty fifty in the 3rd Test at SCG, where the match resulted in a draw.
However, the world saw a class apart display of batting when he smashed 91 runs in the final innings of the Brisbane Test and shifted momentum towards India. Keeping his heroics in mind, India’s former batsman Gautam Gambhir stated that Gill did have a fairytale start but let’s not put “too much pressure” on him. Gambhir has backed Rohit Sharma and Gill to open the order when India plays against England in February.
“He (Gill) should be opening with Rohit Sharma, no doubt about it. But let’s not jump the gun. We just can’t put someone really high up there. Yes, he has got the talent, but he needs to keep his head down because international cricket can be tough,” said Gambhir on the Star Sports show ‘GamePlan.’
Let Shubman Gill develop on his own rather than putting too much pressure: Gambhir
Gautam Gambhir further added that Gill might need some time to get settled well as international cricket can be too tough at times. India should give some more time to the young batter to develop his batting. Gill flaunted his class for India against one of the cricketing giants on their soil amid all the odds, and it bagged him too many praises.
“Yes, you have had a honeymoon start to your international career – it can’t be better than this. Playing in Australia, winning the series with a young side – you have done really well. You have batted beautifully, no doubt about it, but let’s give him time as well and let him develop on his own rather than putting too much of pressure and too many expectations on him,” Gambhir concluded.
Source: The source of this content is our cricket news platform Crictracker.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- MS Dhoni gave Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma a longer run; unfair if Shubman Gill doesn’t get the same: Gautam Gambhir
- ‘He’s got a little bit of a technical issue’ – VVS Laxman on Shubman Gill being under pressure after low scores against England
- Yuvraj Singh hilariously trolls Shubman Gill after youngster’s poor shot selection in 1st innings of 3rd Test
- India vs England: James Anderson bowls a ripper to send Shubman Gill’s off-stump for a walk
- ‘A little unfortunate on him to be honest’ – Gautam Gambhir surprised by Kuldeep Yadav’s omission from the first Test against England