Rahkeem Cornwall made his international debut in the home Test series against India last year. It was a memorable debut for him as he picked three wickets in the first innings with Cheteshwar Pujara being his maiden scalp. However, his performance in this game don’t stand anything compared to the one in 2016 when he played for President’s XI in a warm-up game against India.
The off-spinner had dismissed the likes of Virat Kohli, Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane in the same innings which impressed many. The trio is rated as the best in facing spin bowling in the modern cricket. Cornwall still remembers the way he got each of the three batsmen out on his way to a five-wicket haul.
“That was in a President’s XI game in St Kitts. I got a five-wicket haul in that game as well. I got Kohli lbw and Rahane caught bat-pad. They were basic off-spin deliveries with just a little bit of bounce. I also got Pujara bowled in that match – he was attempting a sweep shot,” the 27-year-old said while speaking to ESPNCricinfo.
The life-changing moment for Rahkeem Cornwall
However, what followed after the performance in the warm-up match was memorable for Rahkeem Cornwall. Virat Kohli walked up to him and requested to bowl him in the nets ahead of the Test series. The off-spinner terms it as the breakthrough moment in his career. “I see it as a breakthrough moment for me where one of the best batsmen in the world is asking for me to come to bowl to him in the nets.
“You learn a lot. A lot of patience, [that you need to] stick to line and length consistently rather than being all over the place,” he added. Rahkeem Cornwall is currently in England set to play in the three-match Test series starting from July 8. He has so far played two Tests in his career and has scalped 13 wickets including 10 scalps in the only Test against Afghanistan last year.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- Twitter Reactions: Ajinkya Rahane and Hanuma Vihari notch up fifties as India surprisingly bats for the second time
- ‘He started saying stuff that I really don’t want to repeat’ – Kesrick Williams recalls his banter with Virat Kohli on India tour in 2019
- ‘It takes one ball to get him out’ – Kesrick Williams looking forward to Virat Kohli battle again
- Virat Kohli is going to be pumped up the next time he sees me: Kesrick Williams
- ‘I’m going to put you at four or five’ – When MS Dhoni demoted Virat Kohli to find his lost form