Players getting injured during net practice sessions is a common sight. Unlike matches, conditions are pretty relaxed and players often tend to get carried away, only to find themselves injured. A similar thing happened to Rohit Sharma when a ball hit his thumb, giving the team an injury scare.
It is not the first time that Rohit Sharma has been injured during practice sessions, ahead of an important series. Right before his debut in Test matches, he had twisted his ankle, causing him to miss his debut. And, that had happened while playing with a rocket ball. But, this time around, the story is different.
As reported by India TV, Rohit, while practising in the nets in Mumbai, got hit on his right thumb. Physio Nitin Patel was assessing the situation but there was no official confirmation regarding his further treatment. The fans would be hoping for Rohit to get well in time for the Australia series.
2019 was an excellent year for Rohit Sharma
The past year was one of great success for ‘Hitman’. He got past the Indian captain, Virat Kohli to end the year as the highest run-getter in One Day Internationals. Rohit scored 1490 runs in 2019 while maintaining an average of 57.03. The same year also saw him get a successful run while opening the innings in Test matches for India.
Even in the shortest format of the sport, he was quite close to Kohli, who had 2689 runs while he had 2633 runs in his bag. In 2020, he will look to replicate his performances from 2019 and help India win the 2020 World Cup.
He has been a pillar of the Indian batting line up and has done extremely well while opening the innings with the bat. Rohit, after taking a break during the T20I series against Sri Lanka is making a return to the Indian squad and will be the deputy of Kohli. And, he would not want to miss out on any action due to such a freak injury.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- Team India cricketers get a hero’s welcome after historic Test series win in Australia
- AUS vs IND, 2020-21: 4th Test, Day 5 – India’s record chase, India breaches the fortress, Pant’s record knock and more stats
- Rohit Sharma hilariously caught using curse word while celebrating India’s memorable win in Brisbane
- Australia vs India: Rohit Sharma shadow bats on the pitch as Steve Smith observes him
- ‘You’ve got to be better than that’ – Ricky Ponting criticises Rohit Sharma for throwing his wicket away in the Brisbane Test