Zimbabwe Cricket was left in isolation during the ICC’s annual conference in London on July 18 when they were banned from taking part in any tournament organized by the apex body. This was the first time that a full member team was held with a suspension.
ICC had imposed this suspension on Zimbabwe Cricket Board because of the high interference of its government in the sports activities of the board. Since the decision, the activities related to the game have come to a still. National women’s team was not allowed taking part in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier held in Scotland from August 31 to September 7. The national men’s team was also excluded from taking part in the 2019 ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier.
The apex body had stated in their suspension that ZC was found breaching Article 2.4 (c) and (d) of the ICC Constitution and that the actions of the SRC in suspending the board in June constituted government interference in Zimbabwe Cricket’s affairs.
ICC Chairman opines over Zimbabwe’s suspension
ICC chairman Shashank Manohar also came out with an opinion to keep sports free from political interference, “We do not take the decision to suspend a member lightly, but we must keep our sport free from political interference,” Chairman said as quoted by The Standard.
However, they were allowed to tour Bangladesh and Singapore for the T20I series. But, there are speculations that ICC might review their decision when the board holds its quarterly meeting in Dubai starting on 14 October 2019. If that happens, the African country will take a sigh of relief and will start receiving ICC funding again.
It is also important to watch about the time of uplifting of adjournment because the Under-19 World Cup is set to start from January 17 to February 9 next year although the participation of Zimbabwe in it totally depends over ICC. Recently, Zimbabwe featured in a tri-nation tournament in which Nepal and Singapore were the other respective teams who took part.
If ICC lifts the suspension, that would also ensure that Zimbabwe Cricket, who were due to receive USD $94 million over eight years will start receiving ICC funding again.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- Singapore T20I Tri-series 2019, Match 6, Singapore vs Zimbabwe – A rare series win for Zimbabwe, Peter Moor’s record knock and more stats
- Singapore T20I Tri-series 2019, Match 6, Singapore vs Zimbabwe: Fantasy Cricket Tips – Playing XI, Pitch Report & Injury Update
- Singapore T20I Tri-series 2019, Match 3, Singapore vs Zimbabwe – Singapore’s historic win, all-round effort from Sean Williams and more stats
- Singapore T20I Tri-series 2019, Match 3, Singapore vs Zimbabwe: Fantasy Cricket Tips – Playing XI, Pitch Report & Injury Update
- When and Where to Watch Afghanistan vs Zimbabwe, Live Streaming, Match Preview, Timings, and Pitch Report for 2nd Test