One of the best cricketing minds in the world, MS Dhoni is always known to impart the best advice to fellow players. Ever since he has bowed out of international cricket, players around the world are recalling his genius skills one after the other. India leg-spinner Piyush Chawla recalls one such incident from the 2011 World Cup group stage match against England, where Dhoni’s expert advice worked wonders for the team and helped him in dismissing the confident Jonathan Trott.
India were facing the English team at the Chinnaswamy stadium in Bangalore, and the visitors were comfortably chasing the target of 339. Skipper Andrew Strauss was looking strong with Jonathan Trott by building a 43-run partnership and this is where the then India skipper’s advice to Piyush Chawla did the trick.
“I was having a 45 [short fine-leg] for Trott. He [MS Dhoni] told me to move that [fielder] from there and get it to square-leg. I said, ‘I don’t need that’. He said, ‘No, just do that and bowl.’ And I got a square-leg instead of 45, and two balls later, he got out because he tried to play too fine,” Chawla was quoted as saying by India TV.
How Dhoni’s Magic came into play
Trott, who had scored fairly high in the previous match against the Netherlands, ended up falling to the trap. “He told me he wasn’t keeping that square-leg to stop anything. It was just to show him [Trott] that gap so he tries to play it fine, and he ends up getting lbw.”
This dismissal didn’t fetch India a lot as Strauss, who wreaked havoc (158 off 145), almost guided his team to victory. However, Zaheer Khan’s heroics, where he picked three wickets in six balls got the Men in Blue back in the game, and the match ended in a tie.
The world will once again witness the Chawla-Dhoni duo in the upcoming season of IPL, set to take place in the UAE, where the Yellow Army would walk under MS Dhoni’s leadership aiming their 4th title of the tournament.
Source: The source of this content is our cricket news platform Crictracker.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- Eoin Morgan is for England, what MS Dhoni used to be for India: Graeme Swann
- India vs England, 2021: 4th Test, Day 1 – Virat Kohli creates new milestone, Ravi Ashwin’s feat, Axar Patel’s record and more stats
- India vs England, 2021: 3rd Test, Day 2 – Records galore for Axar Patel, Ravi Ashwin’s milestone, captain Kohli’s feat and more stats
- Nasser Hussain points out the difference between Rishabh Pant and MS Dhoni’s style of batting
- ‘Dhoni is behind the stumps, Sachin Tendulkar is on the field’ – Joe Root recalls the fond memories from his Test debut against India