Former India opener Wasim Jaffer’s recent decision of resigning as Uttarakhand head coach has led to a big controversy. Jaffer tendered his resignation, citing ‘too much interference and bias of selectors’ as the reason. But after his resignation, reports emerged that stated that the 42-year old was communal and allegedly favoured Muslim players in selection.
The reports also stated that he invited Maulvis (Muslim religious scholars) to the team’s training. And with the matter getting out of the hands, Jaffer himself decided to clear the air. He took to Twitter to rubbish the reports while also stating that those have caused him immense pain. Jaffer, who is the highest run-scorer in the history of Ranji Trophy, further said that bringing the communal angle to his resignation was very sad.
He revealed how he was the one who wanted Jay Bista to become the captain but the Cricket Association of Uttarakhand (CAU) officials backed Iqbal Abdulla. Jaffer also clarified that he did not invited Maulvis to the team training. He ended his tweet by confirming that he resigned because of selectors and secretary’s bias.
Here is Wasim Jaffer’s tweet
1. I recommended Jay Bista for captaincy not Iqbal but CAU officials favoured Iqbal.
2. I did not invite Maulavis
3. I resigned cos bias of selectors-secretary for non-deserving players
4. Team used to say a chant of Sikh community, I suggested we can say "Go Uttarakhand" #Facts https://t.co/8vZSisrDDl
— Wasim Jaffer (@WasimJaffer14) February 10, 2021
Anil Kumble supports Wasim Jaffer:
At a time when opinions are divided on Wasim Jaffer, former India skipper Anil Kumble has come out in support of his former India teammate. Kumble and Jaffer recently shared the dressing room as head coach and batting coach of Kings XI Punjab respectively during IPL 2020. Replying to Jaffer’s tweet, Kumble said he was with the former batsman. Kumble also rued that the Uttarakhand players would miss out on Jaffer’s mentorship.
“With you Wasim. Did the right thing. Unfortunately it’s the players who’ll miss your mentor ship,” Anil Kumble tweeted.
With you Wasim. Did the right thing. Unfortunately it’s the players who’ll miss your mentor ship.
— Anil Kumble (@anilkumble1074) February 11, 2021
Earlier this week, Jaffer stepped down as Uttarakhand coach citing “interference and bias of selectors and the association’s secretary for non-deserving players” as the reason. Jaffer was appointed as the head coach of the state team in June 2020. He had signed a one-year contract with CAU. Recently, Uttarakhand played the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy under his coaching but failed to do well. They managed to win only one out of their 5 matches.
Source: The source of this content is our cricket news platform Crictracker.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- Wasim Jaffer resigns as Uttarakhand coach due to ‘interference and bias of selectors’
- India vs England: Wasim Jaffer predicts the hosts’ probable playing eleven for first T20I
- ‘Dad will definitely treat them’ – Washington Sundar reacts to Wasim Jaffer’s hilarious ‘3 idiots’ meme
- ‘Ideally from the non strikers end’ – Wasim Jaffer on how England batsmen should face Axar Patel and Ravi Ashwin
- Wasim Jaffer hilariously trolls England players on their reaction to the Ahmedabad pitch ahead of the fourth Test