After the first Test in Chennai between India and England, there was some criticism directed at the pitch of the MA Chidambaram Stadium. During the first two days of the match, there wasn’t anything which was helpful for the bowlers from the surface. It was flat and England who won the toss made full use of it by batting for two straight days and a little bit more.
However, former Indian cricketer Aakash Chopra has revealed thatit won’t be the case when the two teams meet once again at the same venue for the second Test. Starting on Saturday, the second Test will be very crucial for the hosts. The cricketer turned commentator has predicted that we might see the second Test ending in 3 and a half or 4 days.
Chopra observed that considering how the pitches are prepared in India, the pitch for the second Test will be a rank turner, offering spin from the very onset. He also said that toss won’t play a huge factor in this match as the pitch would offer something for the bowlers from the very get-go.
The toss will be taken out of the equation: Aakash Chopra
“Considering what’s happening right now, 5 day Test match, a 3-day turnaround, same surface, same square – this (the pitch for the 2nd Test) is going to be a turner. And toss will be taken out of the equation somewhat. In a sense that if you win the toss, of course, there’s an advantage but it’s not as significant that you can bat for 2.5 days. You just can not, this pitch won’t be of that nature. I dare say, I believe, this will be a 3.5-4 day Test match at best. Toss will be critical but making it count will be a lot more difficult than the last match,” said Aakash Chopra to ESPNCricinfo.
In the first Test, England had managed to score 578 runs in the first innings due to absolutely flat pitch but when Indian came to bat, the pitch had all the turn and England bowlers made the perfect use of it.
Source: The source of this content is our cricket news platform Crictracker.
SportsInfo offers cricket, soccer, kabaddi, tennis, badminton, racing, basketball and other sports news, articles, videos, live coverage & live scores, player rankings & team rankings. Also, offers minute details of any match along with live commentary.
- ‘He’s got a little bit of a technical issue’ – VVS Laxman on Shubman Gill being under pressure after low scores against England
- ‘I feel sorry for your parents’ – Rohan Gavaskar shuts down a fan who trolled him over nepotism
- India vs England, 2021: 4th Test, Day 1 – Virat Kohli creates new milestone, Ravi Ashwin’s feat, Axar Patel’s record and more stats
- ‘Ben Stokes gave me gaali’ – Mohammed Siraj reveals the reason behind heated exchange between Virat Kohli and England star
- ‘Ideally from the non strikers end’ – Wasim Jaffer on how England batsmen should face Axar Patel and Ravi Ashwin